Why title this blog "Our Smith-ocracy"? I don't know. But it has made me think about what our Smith-ocracy would be like if our family laws were written by 6yo Benjamin. I've started a list below; and, believe me, this is only the beginning. Ben's independent temperament blended with the rigidities and inflexibilities of his autism makes for quite an -ocracy. Thankfully, only some of these rules does he attempt to enforce on the rest of us. Mostly these are (some of) the rules for the little world of Ben.
1. The driver's side of a vehicle is the only side worthy of entering or exiting. Do not EVER enter or exit through the passenger side.
2. Names are irritating. Do not address anyone by any name.
3. There are four kinds of sentences: commands, questions, statements and exclamations. Commands are to be disobeyed and questions unanswered. Exclamations work in the form of yelling or screaming. Statements, well, these are okay, as long as I agree with them.
4. All family members will wear short sleeves and shorts 365 days a year, no matter the outdoor temperature. This includes sleepwear.
5. Shoelaces are unnecessary. Remove them from your shoes immediately.
6. Mondays will be called Tuesdays and Tuesdays will be called Wednesdays and on and on. The result is that Sundays and Mondays there is no school and Saturday is spirit day.
7. Milk will only be served in clear glasses and orange juice in orange cups.
8. All hand-written words will be written in CAPITAL LETTERS. Lower case letters no longer exist.
2 comments:
These don't sound all that different from my 3 & 4 year olds rules for life... although I imagine Ben is a bit more adamant about it and I'm hopeful that my kids will grow out of them..
Makes me smile when I read these. It sounds just like Ben (or the one who should not be named!)
Post a Comment