So this last weekend was my first funeral - well second, but the first was pretty much taken care of for me. I spent the week on the phone and running errands and trying to line things up perfectly for a smooth, lovely family luncheon following the funeral services.
On Saturday morning, I met a couple other members of my ward at the church building in Martinez to set up tables/tablecloths/centerpieces and deliver supplies to the kitchen for the crew who would be serving up the luncheon. We had CLEAR orders to be finished with set-up by 9:30am as the family would start arriving at that point for the viewing that would begin at 10am. So we did it! Finished exactly at 9:30am.
Then I took my two tag-a-long kids to the bathroom.
Then Ben pulled the fire alarm.

With NO idea how to turn the thing off, I paced in a panic, hoping the fire department would come and turn it off. The Bishop who was there to oversee the services was not familiar with this building, and so he began searching every nook and cranny of the building for the "panel." I had no idea what he was talking about so I basically just paced with my heart racing out of my chest.
The family began arriving and I calmly explained the problem and apologized my brains out. I called the fire department - they claimed to have no idea how to turn it off. The hearse arrived and they rolled Kathy in with the fire alarms blaring. I was horrified.
And Ben sat happily in the van, drawing maps on his magna-doodle. He had no idea of the contextual dilemma here.
So anyways, long story almost over, the Bishop found the panel and the necessary tool for turning off the fire alarm. At about 5 minutes to 10am, the alarm stopped ... but my heart didn't. I think it took a full two hours for my anxiety to return to a level state.
The good news is the rest of the funeral services and luncheon proceeded beautifully. And now I know what to do the next time someone pulls a fire alarm.
2 comments:
Jennie! Should I laugh or be horrified? Oh Jennie!. . . . .
Ok I know your post is old but It gave me a great little chuckle, I didn't even here it from anyone. Then I felt guilty for laughing. But really that is a great story for the books!
Post a Comment