Tuesday, March 17, 2009

How to Cope ... or Not

I actually made breakfast for my family this morning on St. Patrick's Day -- made the eggs green and pressed a shamrock cookie cutter into the toast. So festive. Added some regular sausage links and potatoes.

Well, Ben saw his plate of breakfast and said "I can't eat that." Of course not. The eggs were green and there was a shamrock on his toast. He moaned and groaned and griped and moaned but mom still said "this is breakfast today. You can eat this or you can go and play." Oh, no.

Internal Dilemma for Ben: I'm very hungry, but this food that I normally love does not look the way it is supposed to. External Manifestation of this Dilemma: 10 long minutes of anxiety behaviors -- moaning, fidgeting, pained eyes, "I can't eat that" in a strained voice.

So how did Ben eventually solve the problem? Well, by establishing a new rule, of course. He took the plate of weird-looking food to my bed, sat up under the covers and ate the food in bed. He was quite proud of himself for finding a way to eat the weird-looking food ... he certainly couldn't eat it at the table like he does with regular-looking food.

This is how Ben's brain works. This is how he copes. This can make life so complicated...

4 comments:

Jen said...

Progress for Ben!

What a good mom you are!

HMichaelsen said...

complicated, yes, but good for him for figuring out a way he could be okay with different food. I'd let Spencer eat in his room all the time if he'd eat new things that way!

Seamore Tomato said...

It's so interesting to see how all of our kids solve their problems. I think that it's great that you let him eat it in your bed. I'm not that nice. His bed, maybe. Mine, no way. So impressive!

L & M Kunz Family said...

cute idea! I just finally rediscovered the link to your blog! So fun to see your adorable kids!