Grandma Joan and Eliza, helping with the maze set-up:
The finished maze:
The enter and exit points, signs courtesy of Hannah J.:
Ben completing one of many maze runs. I believe his personal best was 14 seconds. Sophie set the maze record of 12.3 seconds. Eliza managed a PR of 16 seconds:

Some of the kids, lined up for a timed turn:
Livvy showing off a completed card (the kids were to find each of 5 stickers inside the maze to earn two prizes from the prize basket):
The birthday cake. Our behaviorist assured me that buying "happy birthday" candles was a way of adapting, not accomodating. Since Ben claims he is nine years old, seven candles on the cake would not go over well at all. So this is an example of altering the environment to enable success (or some other fancy behaviorist speak):
The sweaty (from running through the maze) birthday boy opening presents. The scar on his cheek is thanks to a kid at summer school who wanted the toy that Ben had. That's what happens on a campus full of ASD kids:

We are uniquely grateful for our Benjamin. He teaches us to appreciate the small moments, the baby steps, the joy of sharing experiences with each other. He's also taught us that even after the tutelage of countless speech therapists, occupational therapists, play therapists, music therapists, developmental pediatricians, behaviorists, psychologists, etc ... we still have a lot to learn...
5 comments:
I hope he had fun! You planned a great party - you are so creative! Thanks for including us!
Jennie, you are the coolest Mom ever! I absolutely LOVE the maze! Seriously, so RAD!
I have so much love and respect to you and Jeff for the AMAZING parents you are. Ben is such an awesome kid, and he is so blessed to have you guys. I love reading about him. Unique is so much more fun than average!!!
Can I steal you birthday idea? Awesome!
You guys continually amaze me at how great you are with your kiddos.
What an awesome party! Man, and I thought I was tired after Addie's. You must have been exhausted. What fun!
Post a Comment