Sunday, January 17, 2010

Things I've Learned

Well, I started this post a while ago with a lot of ideas, but I'm not remembering everything now. But it was to be something like The Things I've Learned in 2009. I think it was one of those starting a new year and reflecting on the old kind of ideas. Two weeks into the year I'm feeling not-so-reflective, but let's see what I can make of this list that I started.

In 2009 I learned that ...

... two methods of birth control really are better than one. Enough said.

... I can tell the difference in food cooked with different quality ingredients. I remember years ago my Grandma sending me to the basement to get her some flour and specifying the exact bag of flour she wanted because it was better than an another. I thought that was particularly attentive of her to notice the difference. Well, now I've found a flour that I love. It's from Costco - Earthgrains unbleached ... Just love what it does to my baking!

... the Smith Family will be skewed in numbers to the male side since baby #4 is a BOY (sorry, I've known that for about a month now and didn't pass it along ...)

... that "active time-outs" work. In January, on our trip to PACE Place, I learned way too much to even remember everything. But my favorite aha learning moment was regarding active time-outs. Unfortunately, it's not something I use a lot, but maybe I will now that I'm reflecting on it. Basically, it looked something like, okay, Ben, you won't do that for me? Then you can do this and this and this and this and this, and now are you ready to that? No? Then you can do this and this and this and this ... now are you ready? and on and on. I couldn't believe it worked. The this and this would be piddly things sometimes just moving a book from one desk to another, but it would be something he'd do and it would provide a moment of emotional coordination that was missing and I couldn't believe it actually worked but it did.

... I thrive on creativity. I really didn't know that before. Never thought of myself as a creative person. But through years of being involved in creative projects thinking I enjoyed them because they were projects, I now recognize that I love to be creative. I love to envision and then carry out an idea. I'm learning to accept less than perfect results and to just enjoy the creative process.

And that's it for now. I'd rather just publish this than work at digging up more reflective energy. What did you learn it 2009?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Congrats on having another boy...we can talk hours upon hours about having 3 boys! Congratulations! I am so excited for you guys! How are you feeling? I hope you are feeling much better than you were at the beginning of your pregnancy!
Oh, and for the record I have always thought that you were/are creative, just watching you dance and choreograph dances makes it obvious to the outsider!!!