Wednesday, June 1, 2011

The Truth About This School Year

It was a doozy. Actually it was a double doozy. I have significantly more gray hair and wrinkles now than I did one year ago, and hopefully a little bit of wisdom to go with it.

Without spending time on specifics, I'll say this: We anguished and prayed over decisions about how to find an appropriate educational placement for Ben. We consulted professionals and friends and family members. We had IEP after IEP where we asked questions and got frustrating answers. We felt manipulated into corners by people we wanted to trust. We got blindsided by people we did trust.

At times I felt I would die from the stress of the whole situation. I know that sounds dramatic, but it's honestly true. The physical nature of stress can just be overwhelming. I'm hoping that I will never have to experience lower than the lowest points of parenting that I experienced this year. Ah, but we've only just begun ...

I know from experience of the joy in opposition - that the depth of the low magnifies the high. But seriously, no thanks. I'm perfectly happy with the level of joy I experience at this point!

The good news is that things did get better. Not in the way or place that we expected, but Ben found success and proved himself and we are so pleased. The irony is that I dread moving him out of the placement that I dreaded moving him into. We are so grateful for this reprieve where we know he is in good hands, with people we fully trust, with people who are not overwhelmed by his complicatedness. For the first time, EVER, I feel like his educators have a better handle on him than I do. Hallelujah.

Now we just brace ourselves for the next transition, which should be middle of next school year. I can feel my pulse elevate even as I type ...

No comments: