Sunday, July 31, 2011

Sunriver 2011

Where to begin?! This was our seventh summer at Sunriver and it was just as fun as ever. We love spending the week with cousins and it really just flies by.

New Activities/Memories:
Ben rode a bike by himself on the trail. He's been able to ride on two wheels for a few years, but we haven't trusted him enough yet to follow the "rules of the road." He did great. Unfortunately we only got him out once. The rest of the time he rode on a tandem with me and Blake.

A tandem with 3 people? Yes, it went like this: Mom in the front, Ben in the back, and Blake in his handlebar seat. It was an awesome ride. I kind of want to own a tandem bike. We even rode to Benham Falls: (I have no idea why Ben looks like he's crying in this photo - he was actually feeling pretty chipper ... I do know why I look so pasty - because I was)


Ethan, Eli and Sophie took their first ride together, sans adults. Sophie and Ethan were clearly ecstatic. Eli maintained a cool composure, but I'm sure he was happy to have the freedom, too. While they were out, the little kids took a jacuzzi bath/swim together:


The Perplexus Rookie was in constant use. Several people conquered it. After a day or so, Alan ordered the Epic via amazon prime and when it arrived, no one conquered it. Then late in the week the Hiatts picked up the Original. Maybe we should be hired as the poster family for the Perplexus line.


After 7 visits to Central Oregon in 7 years, we've clued into the vast recreational opportunities in the area. It really is an astounding adventureland, even rivaling Southern Utah. Our first hike was to the head of a river that springs (literally) out of no where. It just starts. And it's a big river. Here are Eliza and I in and at the top of the (very cold) river.


There were wildflowers galore. I'm just in love with the varied foliage and terrain of central Oregon. I'm pretty sure I could spend a whole summer (or lifetime?) exploring the area.


Ben at last arrived back at the van. He really wanted to go home, for some reason or for no reason. His mantra for all of our summer trips this year was "I want to go home."


The second hike that day was to a waterfall. It was just a gorgeous little something that we'd never know was hiding there without the help of our little trail book. Have I said how much I love central Oregon? =)


Old Faithfuls:
We also revisited many favorite activities like ... mini-golf:


Bumper cars: Did you know that Grandma Joan is very competitive?


We managed to fill the bumper cars with just members of our family. This time it was Maddie, Sophie, Livvy, Grandma Joan, Jeff, Ethan, Ben and Eliza. It was joyous!


Swimming: This clan is clinging to their noodle "raft." Grandma is repetitively steering Blake away from the women's changing room.



"Donuts":


Minute-to-Win-it (a new tradition from last year):



River Float! This year we opted for canoes! That meant fewer people per vessel (thus fewer fights), and a swifter ride. We also took turns on a paddle board (super fun!). And yes, them be thunder clouds, matey!


Jason paddled upstream to assist the Maddie and Grandma canoe - they tried and tried but just couldn't manage to keep that darn canoe going the right way.


Eliza was brave to jump off a rock into the cold river:


And Livvy's face is evidence that that river was shockingly cold:


Cooking and serving delicious, healthy food in a beautiful kitchen:


And eating all together at an enormous table (but watch your toes!):


Playing on the golf course before bedtime:


To close I'll share one funny/embarrassing story of the trip. It actually happened on the golf course. The house we stay in is right on the green of I don't know which hole of the Woodlands Golf Course. A favorite activity for the kids is to go golf ball hunting in the backyard of the house - they search through the shrubs and come back with golf balls. Well, Ben knew about the activity, saw kids coming back with balls and, after a few days, decided he wanted to go out and give it a go. About one minute after he went outside I realized I should have been specific about the way to golf-ball hunt. Sure enough, I looked up to see Ben running as fast as he could off the green with a golf ball in hand. I ran out there barefoot, called out "no Ben!" and saw the golfers down the fairway with confused looks on their faces. I could tell from Ben's face that he knew his mistake but didn't know what to do and was surely embarrassed because he just ran inside and was quite weepy. I threw the ball back up on the green (with no inkling of how close it was to the hole or what), yelled an earnest (but embarrassed!) "sorry" to the golfers, and hoped that they had a sense of humor. When I went inside someone said, "Well, at least he wasn't naked."  Yes, that's the bright side. It very easily could have been a naked ball snatch. Oh, boy!

And so, farewell until next summer, Sunriver.


And farewell and best wishes to the Sorensens as they embark on their midwest adventure. xoxo

No comments: