Sunday, May 8, 2011

Hiking

We've done a lot of hiking this spring. I get the outdoorsy bug every year when the weather warms up and the hills are green. This year I'm also desperate to fit in some physical activity whenever I can - that usually means I have to involve the kids. Since they love the hiking too, it makes everyone happy! Jeff's also motivated by the looming high adventure trip he's going on with the scouts in June. So here's a picture journey through some of the hike we've enjoyed over the last few months:

An afterschool whim on a "springtime" February afternoon. We picked up Eliza from school on a Tuesday afternoon and decided to explore a trail that cuts through the Walnut Country neighborhood. It was delicious, if you can describe a hike that way.
Jeff was off somewhere on a Saturday so the kids and I picked up Livvy and went to a favorite spot in Martinez - Hidden Lakes. We were sad to see the rope swing was broken, but still found some surprises in a place that's full of such things. A waterfall:
A geocache:
A tasty snack:
A seesaw at the park:
We asked Aunt Amy to lead us on our first exploration of Shell Ridge Open Space since she often runs there. We covered a good 5 miles or more that day. Even our energizer bunny Ben got a little tired! It was a BEAUTIFUL day.


I took the kids another time to Shell Ridge to explore the Indian Creek area. We especially love that area because it's shaded and has more of an explorer kind of feeling about it. It was a hotter day though, so we didn't last as long. Snack time:
I admit I've always had a bit of an aversion to Mt. Diablo State Park. It's so close, but in the summer so dry, so full of ticks, rattlesnakes and poison oak, and rather unshaded. But after several hikes there this spring, my attitude is shifting a little, at least for the spring season. We enjoyed a couple of hikes up Donner Canyon to Tickwood Trail (see, even the name of the trail makes me all mental) and down Back Creek Trail. The Tickwood/back creek portion is particularly beautiful in the spring. Next year I hope we can make it up to the waterfalls. We just didn't have enough time to do that longer hike. First hike:
Second Hike:


All tuckered out:
I've always loved California Poppies. Like really loved:
And this last picture will always bring a smile to my face because I just love to tease this guy. He's all decked out for his hike, "breaking in" his new clothes/equipment for his high adventure with the scouts in June. How many men do you know who start preparing months ahead of time for anything? Well Jeff spent a couple of months walking around the house in at least 4 different pairs of hiking boots before selecting which ones to keep. He's bought special clothes and gadgets for hiking. He's had orthotics made for his feet and he's lost 13 pounds (so far). He takes Blake out on walks/hikes in the backpack to get used to carrying weight on his back. The trip is still 1.5 months away. I love this man!

I don't know how much more hiking we'll do this spring - the weather is warming up and the snakes and ticks are coming out. I think we'll introduce Blake to the bike trailer and get rolling instead!

3 comments:

Lacy said...

I Love this! Next time you hike, call me! I always love hiking, but lack knowledge of kid-friendly places to go.

familybrew7 said...

Oh how I loved hiking in some of these areas! Diablo is great and close in the Spring..however Royce got lime disease in Sept. up there and they couldn't even figure that out till Jan!! Remember when he was so sick? We are finally in Spring here, this post motivates me to get out and see our new place! Great post Jennie :)

Kristen said...

How I miss those green hills! You should go tarantula hunting in Aug/Sep.

That is a fun thing to do on Diablo when it is kind of yucky and dusty. (or when the hills are golden to put it nicely)