Friday, May 7, 2010

The Other Side


Blake James Smith
May 6, 2010
2:53pm
8 lbs, 7 oz
20 inches long


Here are some winning moments of this experience so far ...

Best: Looking down and seeing that healthy, screaming baby boy that was just inside and now outside. I do have a picture, but I'll spare you that one. Ya know, it's a little personal.

Easiest: This is crazy, but I have to say the labor itself was the easiest part. It was so strange. My epidural was massively effective (more on that later) and so we pretty much had a tea party while we waited for the time to push. Then I pushed 1.5 times and there he was. Very strange - just hanging out and then ta da, a baby. Attending the labor party was Jeff, of course, his mom Colleen, my mom Joan, and my sister Amy (we didn't get any pictures of Amy?).



Feistiest: My feisty side emerged when I realized how massively effective the epidural was. I don't like those kind. I like epidurals that are just enough to take the edge off but I still feel the pain. I asked the anesthesiologist several times to turn down the dosage. After the second request was denied and she left the room, I had some words to say about her. Thanks to the righteous influence of my husband, the words were about 2nd grade in severity, but they were words nonetheless. Thankfully on the third, very polite, request, she listened to me so that by the time baby came I was actually feeling a (small) portion of the experience.

Most Uncomfortable: Those bloated, swollen feet (and legs and hands).

During labor
A week later


Most Overwhelming: Within a couple hours of labor, these three gigantic kids arrived. And I realized they are all mine. And I didn't feel so great. And they were so big and had so much energy. I love them, but I was glad they left and then I enjoyed a couple of days in the quiet hospital spa. That is after I bawled for an hour and all the nurses kept asking me if I was okay. Um, no, but, yes.

"That's my little brother! Oh, a little brother.
Mommy, cell phone, please?"

Ethan's face demonstrates his uncertainty.
He's warmed up a bit, but he's full of baby book vocabulary like
"the baby will take all the attention and I won't get any" ... blah blah blah ...

And, of course, a delighted big sister

Thank you, Papa, for tending to the big kids all day.
Here's your reward!
The Official Weight

Leaving the Hospital

Daddy and Blake - the Best Way
to snuggle a newborn

Very Excited Cousins

7 comments:

sophie hiatt said...

He is so cute (: I love my little cousin!!!!!!!!!!!!! (: (: (: (:

sophie hiatt said...

The previous comment is from Sophie. Now here's Livvy:

He is so awsomley cute!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sharee said...

I Love YOU. I am glad you and Blake are well. Your kids are sooooo blessed to have you!

Jen said...

Welcome baby Blake. I'll have to come and visit and hold him again soon! Love ya!

HMichaelsen said...

Darling pictures! I love the picture of your feet :) and of the proud big sister. Hope you're all doing well!!

mkt said...

I don't know how I missed this post! Congrats! Congrats! Congrats! He's gorgeous and I can't wait to snuggle him in July - mine is already outgrowing the snuggle stage :( but I'm not letting him give it up without a fight!

buffymom 3 said...

Congratulations!!! I took pictures of my feet before and after too!! I keep the swollen picture by my bedside to remember how wonderful it is not to be pregnant anymore!! Blake is gorgeous.