In about an hour, my four children will return from their 48 hour stay with Granny and Papa. I think I'll record some quick thoughts, while I still have some time to think ...
1. Life without children is a breeze. Seriously, the ability to just schedule my own time and come and go without worrying how it will fit in with my kids' schedules ... it all just leaves me speechless with awe. Amazing.
2. A nine month old puppy is pretty easy to have around when the children are gone. She just follows me around. When she gets restless I take her on a walk or play ball with her or do some training and then she settles down. Amazing.
3. Hanging out with my husband without kids around is pretty awesome. Whether work or play, in house or out and about, it is lovely to be with him. I knew this already, just rarely have the chance to just enjoy him.
4. When I go to church without kids, I can actually FEEL things. Like spiritual things. Like I can be touched in the depths of my heart. Amazing.
5. My house stays cleaner without kids around. Well, duh.
6. I don't really miss my kids when they are gone (can you tell?), but I'm pretty sure that's because I know they are coming back.
So does it sound like I want a career change? It probably does, but, no, I don't want a career change. I'll keep my mom job. I have some children to raise and I'm going to see this through. However ...
1. I need to give myself a little more credit for how much work it is to have a family. I always think this is just our life and what we do and I'm not any busier than anyone else - everyone is busy. But now I say, no, we are very busy. It's a huge responsibility to raise four children and take care of ourselves besides. Just the weight of knowing that we are fully responsible for the past, present and future of four fast-growing children is huge. Add on all the comings and goings and supposed to be doings and this is a big job.
2. Somehow I need to find a way to fit in moments of peace, moments of thoughtfulness, moments of feeling the Holy Ghost in my heart. It's something I thought I was doing, but when I have time without the distractions of children, it's amazing how much more I feel.
And that's about all I have time for because, as my last hurrah, I think I'll make a run (well, drive) to Cold Stone before they get home. Cookie doughn't you want some?
2 comments:
Yes. I love this post. You are an AMAZING mom and I hope one day I'll be as creative, interactive, and patient as you. Hooray for your 48 hours!
I love catching up with you! This post is my favorite :) Oh what I would give for a couple kid-free days with Shauny-baby. BTW, Shaun thought your post entitled "Bathroom Redo" read "Bedroom Rodeo." Maybe he needs glasses? He's in his 40's now. . .
Post a Comment